Per reader request, I recently updated the journaling card print template (if you downloaded it in the past be sure to grab the new version here). I’m back today as promised with a quick tutorial on how to use the template to print out individual journaling cards. While all of my journaling card sets include easy to print PDF files, if you prefer to print them out individually on an as needed basis you can definitely do that too. There are many ways to go about doing this. This is the way I do it.
1. OPEN the 3×4 journaling card template file (download here) in photoshop and PRINT it out. You’ll need the guide so you know where to mount your cardstock when you run it through your printer again. Also, make sure you have 3×4 JOURNAL BOX LAYER selected. This is a prep step for later on. Selecting this layer now ensures that the card will be added to the document and placed in the right layer order – above the JOURNAL BOX layer (so you can see your card) and below the YOUR TEXT HERE layer.
Your guide is printed and ready to go!
2. Next, jump back on photoshop and open the journaling card file you want to print. I’m using Card 2 from presscards no. 21.
3. Now we’re going to add the journaling card file to the print template. Make sure your MOVE TOOL is selected. Next, HOLD DOWN the SHIFT KEY (this step is important! Doing this ensures that the file will be perfectly centered on the document you dragging it into). Now click your mouse anywhere on the journaling card file and simply drag it onto the printing template file and release.
4. This is what your printing template file should look like now with the journaling card added to it. Perfectly centered and ready for adding text and/or printing. Note also that the journaling box layer (layer 1 in the screenshot) is exactly where it’s supposed to be in the layer box order – above the 3×4 JOURNAL BOX layer and below the YOUR TEXT HERE layer. If you want to add journaling to card before printing click on the text layer and type away.
5. Now you’re almost ready to print! Before printing, make sure you turn off the PRINT GUIDE layer. If you’re not printing with text make sure you turn off the YOUR TEXT HERE layer as well. To do this, just click the little “eye icon” to the left of the layer.
6. Next, grab the paper you printed out in the first step and adhere a 3×4 sized cardstock to it before running it through the printer.
Hope you found this helpful!