a year of light | 1 of 52

January 7, 2013 |  by  |  a year of light

My one little word for 2013 is light. I would like to bring more light into our house. I would like to be more light-hearted. I would like to be able to see things in a different light – from a place of optimism and compassion rather than pessimism and self doubt.  Most of my journey with light this year I think will be a quiet one that I explore and keep to myself.

But there are other aspects of light I would like to share here. I also want to explore and experiment with capturing light  – morning light, afternoon light, low light, sunlight, shadows, etc. I used to think “the brighter the better” made for a good photo so this year I have a few bad habits to break (overexposing and washing out shadows to name a few).  This will be at the forefront of my mind as I’m taking photos. My plan is to share one (or two) photos a week here. These are my light captures for week 1.

sunday afternoon light

paislee-LIGHT-1of52-DSC_9331

paislee-LIGHT-1of52-DSC_9334

Totally beautiful… as always. I love your photos, they are very inspiring. Love your word and thanks for sharing. I can’t wait to see your photo’s every week. My word is “rejuvenate” and I am looking forward to seeing where it takes me.
    love me :-)

June K says:

Beautiful photo. Adorable daughter.

michelle says:

Gorgeous light! LOVE.

What a beautiful word. Light is so important in so many different ways.

Your photos are beautiful as always! May this year find you with lots of beautiful light!

Brenda says:

Beautiful Liz!!! I LOVE your OLW. Cannot wait to see the photos you come up with using that mantra. <3

Scooty says:

What a lovely photo !

Marsaille says:

Light is my word too :) And I love the new PL kit! I am very drawn to it. I think it will showcase the photos and stories better than many of the others. Less distraction. Very you. Well done!

Thank you so much! And here I was thinking, my edition looks so “plain”. :)

Enjoy your light journey this year. :)

Trude says:

What a great word to describe so many things, love it. And the photo is just too sweet. I hear you on being addicted to brighter light! :)

sue.falstaff says:

~sigh~ … so beautiful, Liz!

Pink Ronnie says:

Beautiful…. love your choice of word.
    Ronnie xo

melanie says:

I’m obsessed with photographing light- I’ve been known to walk away in mid convo if I spot a beautiful photo op. ;p Gorgeous photos Liz, and again, huge congrats on the PL venture- I will definitely be buying your kit!

Syreeta says:

I have the same OLW, so I am thrilled to see what you are doing with it. I have spent most of today lamenting the lack of light in our house. Super cool to see the brightness and your lovely daughter.

As for your kit, this is the best news, I was very sorry that you weren’t on the Studio Calico team, but I am very glad that Becky Higgins has come to you.
    Congratulations.

empreintes says:

Hello there, I just wanted to ask if you ever have any trouble with hackers?

My last wordpress blog at http://paisleepress.
    com/2013/01/a-year-of-light-1-of-52/ was hacked and
    I ended up losing a few months of hard work due to no backup.
    Do you have any tips to stop
    I’m glad that I found your site %target_domain% and was able to read this article. I understand this is off topic however I’m looking into creating my
    own blog and was curious as to what exactly is
    necessary to get myself set up? I assume running a blog like yours is a bit
    high-priced? I’m not exactly an expert about website development so I’m not exactly
    sure how to proceed. Any tips or advice would be greatly enjoyed.
    Thanks in advance I must ask though, but exactly
    where did you get your blog theme: did you see it elsewhere or
    did you prepare it personally? With a theme like the one you have, my blog
    could really stand out more. Tell me where you got your template
    when you get the moment.