progress

July 19, 2012 |  by  |  LIFE RIGHT NOW

Over the weekend I stumbled upon a vintage marquee style “E” monogram on etsy and fell in love. It arrived today. How do you think it looks with the new white walls?

Thanks so much for your input the other day.  In the end I decided to paint everything, including the espresso trim, white. Spent most of the day yesterday painting. It got ugly before it got better.  You know that point in your project where you think uh oh, maybe I should have left this alone?  Those wood surfaces were stubborn.  I ended up applying three coats of primer. Who knows, maybe two coats would have done the trick but the OCD side of me didn’t want to chance it.

Already, the room feels so different. It’s so much brighter and feels more spacious.

New baseboards went in today (with help from my Dad!) but I didn’t get around to painting them.  That’s on my to do list for next week, along with DIYing a white desktop.  Now that all the walls are white that dark wood desktop is sticking out like a sore thumb. I’m not entirely confident that I’ll be able to pull it off but what the heck, I’m going to give it a go anyways!

Today I’m meeting Peppermint (of One Little Bird) and Christine (Fabulous Adventures of Listgirl) for lunch.  Cannot wait to finally meet both of them in person. I will probably be flooding my Instagram feed with gratuitous photos from this outing.  Consider this your fair warning.

It’s almost Friday. Hope you all have a wonderful rest of the week!

libbywilko says:

Have an amazing lunch with Peppermint and Christine. Love the look of the office so far! Make sure you get a photo of the three you together !

Thanks so much Elizabeth! I’m happy to report that we managed to get some photos of the three of us (after a little bit of Peppermint arm twisting.)

Anita says:

Hi Liz,

This turned out so beautiful!! I love it.

Regards from Holland
    Anita

Emma says:

Its so nerve wracking painting wood a) its takes so many coats and b) there’s no going back … but it defo works here … I LOVE it white, so airy and spacious, I’m thinking of using white in my kitchen …

Dawn Ritchie says:

I think the white turned out AMAZING. The desk is a little… dark. Maybe paint that next. hahaha. =D

jamaica says:

Looks great, Liz! Going all white was a good choice. The dark desk doesn’t bother me as much, but then I have two black desks in my office so I’m used to the contrast. My floors are darker than yours though so that might make a difference. Love how it sits in the center of your room though.

Good work over there, can’t wait to see the finished product!

Thanks Jamaica! I think I’ll keep the bottom portion of the desk black, but I definitely want to change the desktop to white.

I’d love to have a peek at your workspace, do you have a room tour posted on your blog?

Catherine says:

Gasp! I LOVE how it turned out in all white, and the “E” looks amazing.

NatalieSpring says:

Oh, I love it! Love how you chose not to paint the window sash and leave the natural wood. Makes a kind of graphic on that wall. Like the window itself is a piece of art. Looks like you get lots of natural light . Love it! Have fun with your DIY projects.

sansku says:

The room looks great now that it’s painted! Love it! :)

TaraMcK says:

Oh so lovely! I just love how it turned out!

Pink Ronnie says:

Liz, I LOVE it!!!! I’m glad you persisted and went with your gut instinct. :)
    Ronnie xo