The other day, Annie asked me how I created the “old style vintage look” for the photos on this layout:
1. Choose your background paper – I used the charcoal paper from my Berry+Charcoal kit.
3. To give your photos the muted, slightly textured and “vintage-y” look I changed the photos from NORMAL to OVERLAY mode. The blending mode option can be found on your LAYERS PALETTE (shown below).
5. This is what my photo looks like now (I was working on the Kauai photo on bottom left hand corner)
6. To give it a more vintage and muted look you can lower the OPACITY of the photo (allowing MORE of the background texture to show through).
7. This is what the photo looks like in OVERLAY MODE at 71% Opacity
8. Repeat steps 4 – 6 for the photos on your layout. Experiment with the opacity levels!! because my photos had varying “brightness” levels, I ended up using different opacity levels to create a uniformly aged and vintage look. Here’s another look at the finished layout.
Charcoal paper from Berry+Charcoal Paper Pack by Paislee Press
Thrift Shoppe Frames by Debra Tope
Rolodex card from Folder Tabs Alphas by Vicki Stegall
There are so many things you can do with blending modes!! I encourage you to experiment! For more on blending modes, check out these tutorials by Amanda (of Taylormade Designs):